Position your application for success with a well-written and tailored resume!
Whether you have just graduated or if you are looking to expand your career opportunities, before commencing your job search, it is important you have an up-to-date and high quality resume.
Your resume is the first point of contact for a potential employer. The first impression can influence your success at securing an interview and potentially a new job.
Before writing your resume, ask yourself the following questions:
- What are my strengths and attributes?
- What experience (formal and informal) should I prioritise?
- What are my relevant work-related achievements?
- What are the key criteria for the roles that interest me?
- How can I differentiate myself from the other candidates?
To ensure your resume stands out from the crowd, customise the content to match the potential employer and the position. Emphasise the specific skills that the employer is looking for with genuine examples from your education, work and volunteer history.
Here are some final tips from our PKL Recruitment consultants on how to prepare a perfectly tailored resume:
- Include only relevant details such as:
- Your name and contact details including phone number and email address
- Qualifications: title, year of expected completion and education provider
- Your work experience: in chronological order – starting with your most recent experience
- Skills and attributes – Highlight the key skills that are compatible with the role and demonstrate how you achieved results
- Keep your resume to no more than 2 pages. Only include relevant, concise information and avoid long sentences
- Choose simple format and design such as styles that are professional and easy to read. Avoid fancy fonts, photos and borders
- Seek feedback, where possible from a trusted associate in a similar role or organisation
A high quality and well-constructed resume is the first step in the employment process. Its role is to demonstrate your appropriateness for the position and to encourage the recruiter to want to meet you.
PKL Recruitment specialises in permanent and temporary recruitment for business administration, office support and call centre jobs. We can help you perfect your resume and secure your ideal job to match your career aspirations.
About the Author
Phoebe Lane is the Founder and Managing Director of PKL Recruitment. Phoebe founded PKL Recruitment in 1995 with a vision of creating meaningful differences to the lives of candidates and clients.